Oblivion

October 2005

The tormentor in this poem is hunger...suffering...loneliness...need.  There are so many evils plaguing humanity, and we all have the power to reach out.  But too often we don't.  We are too focused on ourseles, our comfort, our happiness, our "stuff" to see others as Jesus does.  God doesn't bless us with abundance so that we can keep those blessings for ourselves.  He calls us to reach out to those He puts in our paths and on our hearts.

Oblivion

In a little corner of the world
A child cries for mercy
From the pain of her tormentor,
She begs to be set free.
Does anybody hear her 
Crying in the rain?
Does anyone even care
About her pain?
This world is so oblivious
To those who are in need
There's always someone else to help,
Another mouth to feed.
So I'll just keep on marching on
To the beat of my own drum,
Never looking to my left or right
Oh there's too much to be done.
In my little corner of the world
Where I am consumed
With life and stuff and having more,
 I've not the time for you.
"Others will reach out", I say
"They'll be here very soon".
As I walk away, the problem is
They're much too busy, too.

"This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. 
And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.  If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can thelove of God be in him?  Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:16-18


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts