Essential

1984/1985

I also wrote this for my literature class in 9th grade.  I think it captured my idealistic view of life ~ something I held onto for many years to come.  It gave me a sense of security.  I knew it wasn't realistic, but I didn't know how else to view life at the time.  The reality of relationships in my life was too confusing for me, so I thought if I just created a perfect future then my past experiences wouldn't matter.

Essential

My dreams are the most essential things in my life.  They are what keep me from giving up when things get rough.  I don't mean the dreams I have when I am asleep, I mean the daydreams.  I dream about what I want to do with my life.  I dream about what kind of person I want to spend my life with, and what kind of person I want to be.  I dream about what kind of occupation I want to strive for, what I want my first home to look like, and how I want to raise my family.  In my dreams everything is perfect.  Everyone loves, cares, and helps each other.  I achieve my goals and have a very happy life.  I know my dreams are not very realistic because no one can have the perfect life that I dream of.  But I still dream them.  And I will always try to make them come true.

Friends are also very important to me.  When I feel lonely or sad they are always there to cheer me up.  Especially my best friend.  Without her, I would be lost.  She is always there for me when I need someone to talk to.  She likes me just the way I am and doesn't try to change me.  When I feel sad she cheers me up with her smile, and when I feel like having fun we have a great time!  We don't always agree on everything, but we respect each other's opinions.  She is very special to me and always will be.

~ ~ ~

The summer after I graduated from high school I got involved in a bible study through the Church of Christ.  It was the first time that I had truly seen Jesus ~ in the faces and the lives of the friends I made there.  I wanted what they had.  Their faith was alive and their relationship with the Lord was vibrant.  I began to really grow close to the Lord and He began to change my heart and transform my life and my identity.  The following year I fell in love for the first time.  Tony was a huge influence on me spiritually and personally.  He had a solid foundation of faith and he lived it out.  We went to church and bible study together at First Baptist Church, where I became a member.  By the time I came to Winona, at the age of 20, I was on fire for the Lord!  I was water baptized the Sunday before I left for college.  It was a very precious experience.  I remember feeling so at peace, loved, and accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts