A Heart Like His

October 1990

I was 21 years old and beginning my last year of college.  I was also dating Scott, the man who would become my husband.  I remember spending a lot of time on this poem.  I just simply wanted to see my life and the world around me through the eyes and heart of Christ.  I so desperately wanted those I loved to believe and see Jesus in me.

A Heart Like His

Lord, help me to see with Your eyes
For through Your eyes I see
Many lonely and empty hearts
Reaching with uncertainty.
So many are like little children
Trying to find their way
To true happiness in their lives ~
Getting lost along the way.
Your eyes sparkle with laughter and joy
When someone's heart is made new
And they cry with helpless tears
When another refuses You.
Lord, help me to love with Your heart
For with Your heart I feel
A joy and peace that is so complete
It convinces me that You're real.
It helps me focus on the hearts of others
And breaks down the barriers of pride.
I can forgive and be forgiven
With You by my side.
Your heart loves with strength
And knows no boundary
While it loves with a gentleness
That overwhelms me.

"They hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes.  Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them." 
Matthew 13:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts